Sunday, January 19, 2014

2014 Stash Report Week 3

Yards in: 3.0
Yards out: 1.0
Cumulative yards in: 3.5
Cumulative yards out: 3.8
Net gain/loss: 0.3 USED

Spending this week: $2.50
Spending this year: $2.50

Still in the red, if barely!

The yardage in? I had to drive to the post office yesterday to pick up a certified letter, so I rewarded myself for getting it done by stopping at the little thrift store. This tiny church thrift store in a tiny town has by far the best chance of having any crafting supplies, way better than the bigger ones in the greater Metro area. Anyway - two bags of scraps, about 3 yards worth:

 I could've bought more - but I didn't have much cash on me. If the bag of buttons is still there next week, it'll be a sign.

Usage this week was a new cover for my table-top ironing board. The cover was getting a bit worn, and was even ripped in a couple of places. And the padding was really, really sad.

First step was to draw a pattern on some plain fabric (using some from the thrift store!).

I then went into the "deep stash" that I've been carting around for years. I found a piece of but-ugly navy material of uncertain fiber content and some mattress ticking that it's almost certain I inherited from my Memaw. Leftover batting for more padding.
I layered the plain beige with the navy and batting and did some minimal quilting. I cut the ticking a couple of inches larger all around.

I sewed a casing and put in half-inch elastic. It's been a while since I had to feed something through a casing - my hands hurt like heck doing that!

And, voila - a newly covered ironing board.
I spent much of the rest of the day working on one of my older UFOs - I don't remember when I acquired it; my best guess is sometime in the mid-80s. I finished the top a month or so ago, and today I sandwiched, pinned, taped, and started quilting.

I should finish quilting it tomorrow, and bind it by next week, yay!.
And now for gratuitous pet photos:

Ralph is obviously feeling much better, and back to annoying Cookie:

Cotton hangs out on the bed when it's cold:

1 comment:

Angie in SoCal said...

I need to make a new ironing board cover. Thanks for the process! Your numbers should be in green or bold black - you've used more than you bought!