Friday, May 24, 2013

Voodoo mask

 photo 58c18e07-98fd-4648-9ec9-9bfc5b8148ca_zps2ba1aeea.jpg

Nearly done - I need to figure out what I'm going to do with the back.

The backstory - a friend has had a cancer recurrence, and described visualizing her cancer cells as shrunken heads on stick legs, running away during treatment. The idea of a voodoo mask to support this vision popped into my head, and this is the result.

The embellishments are vintage mother-of-pearl buttons, sewn on with glass beads. Perle cotton stitching.

I'm very excited to use this as my debut showing in Off the Wall Friday on Nina-Marie's blog!

2 comments:

Linda Kittmer said...

Awesome mask!

Terri in BC said...

What a great idea! I'm sure she will love the visual - imagery is so important when you are battling cancer. You are a good friend!