Saturday, January 20, 2018

Fiber Show at BlackRock Center for the Arts

I went to the Artist's Reception at the BlackRock this afternoon- TMOTH has a piece in the wood half of the show, and I wanted to see the fiber pieces since I entered and didn't get in.

Overall- I can see why my quilt wasn't accepted. Most of the pieces were much more abstract.

I think the photo of the first two is the only one where I didn't get a picture of the artist card as well, but it's clearly Linda Colsh. This type of artwork is something where I can appreciate the work that goes into it, and the technical expertise, but as art - meh. Not my cup of tea.




Not a fan of these sorts of things. I'm sure there is artistic vision here, but it doesn't say anything at all to me.







Abstract quilts. Beautiful workmanship - but I'm not a huge fan of abstract art in any medium.






A weaving- very subtle and beautiful.


Some stunning beadwork.


This was pretty- another one that is better in person than in photographs.



 An interesting concept, but more performance art.


A weaving, and some abstract pieces.






Joe's carved bangle- the only wood piece I took a photo of.

This piece was similar to the one I submitted, in that it uses more "traditional" quilting techniques and is overtly political.


The oddest piece in the show- made out of pipe insulation.


The other Colsh piece.


Not my thing.


Another type of quilt where I can appreciate the workmanship, but I don't find it all that exciting.


More abstract work.



This one was way cooler in person- the embroidery really makes the piece.


This was my favorite piece in the show.



Interesting, and might have had some meaning behind the art we didn't know about?


Not part of the exhibir-but I loved this lady's jacket!

No comments: