Friday, June 22, 2007

A tribute to Memaw and Grandma

In other words, a tribute to my grandmothers.

I literally cannot remember a time when I couldn't sew or crochet, because my grandmothers taught me.

Grandma D. took care of me when I was little when my mother went back to work. She moved about 30 miles away when I was about 3 or 4, but we still visited often and were left for weekends on a regular basis, and a few weeks in the summer. I only got to see Memaw at Christmas and during the summer when I was little, but she moved across the street when I was in middle school.

All of my love of working with fabric and yarn I got from then. I really need to take photos of some of the work they did and post it. Most of it was functional - they were both rural children of the depression and definitely knew how to make do. They're the reason I wash fabric before using. They're the reason I can't just throw out the ugly pieced star.

I miss both of them terribly.

No comments: