Sunday, February 11, 2018

Project Quilting Challenge #3- Bold and Brave

Linking up to the Project Quilting challenge post at Kim Lapacek's Persimon Dreams.

The theme for this week's challenge is "Bold and Brave."

This little heart (it's about 5 x 5) is the first of a few I want to make.


The colors are those of the bisexual pride flag. Me? I'm cis straight, but not all of my friends and family are. And just BEING THEMSELVES and finding love with whoever their biology drives them towards is a daily act of being bold and brave.

Even those who aren't "out and proud" I think are bold and brave, by accepting themselves when society still for the most part tells them that they've doing things wrong.

Love always wins.

Progress photos below, starting with fabric choices. The flag colors are fairly deep, so I used a pink verging on magenta, purple, and a blue edging close to navy.

A couple of strip sets sewn together and quilted.

Since the back wasn't going to show, I used some vintage parts of a partially-constructed blouse inherited from my mother-in-law.

A paper template to cut out the hearts.

Two little quilted hearts.

At first, I tried sewing them together WITH beads, but I didn't like how that was turning out at all. So, sewed  together with a whip-stitch, leaving raw edges, lightly stuffing, and then beading along the edges.

I have stripsets ready to make a trans pride heart, a rainbow heart- and I'll probably make one in "normal" (sarcasm intended) red and white colors.

1 comment:

PersimonDreams said...

Great piece! Very powerful.