Sunday, February 23, 2020

Sunday Stash February 23, 2020

Eep. Two weeks since I posted an update.

Spending was for three big spools of thread, a new square ruler, and 2.5 yards of post-Valentine heart fabric to put together my blood donation t-shirt quilt. I've misplaced the receipts, so this week it's an estimate- about $11 for the thread and $28 for the ruler and fabric.

And some finishes! Small ones, but still.

This little non-binary heart for Project Quilting Challenge 3. Two quilted squares of about 6 x 8 went into making the heart, so my math works out to 0.14 yards.

A Christmas ornament for Project Quilting Challenge 4 - total size is 5 x 5, so 0.05 yards.

A challenge for my mini-gorup: 20 x 20. I found some grey in it and will be making another one that has *just* black and white - with one extra color. 0.66 yards used.


I also tossed out some polyester blends this week, about a yard or so. So I'm calling my total yardage out 1.8 yards.

Fabric in:    2.50 yards
Fabric in total: 5.92 yards

Fabric out this week:   1.85 yards
Fabric out total:  3.25 yards


Net: 2.67 yards added

Spending this week:  $39.00

Spending total: $65.61

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Project Quilting Challenge 4

The fourth challenge for Project Quilting is "Birds in the Air."

Well, at the end of the week, I have a finish, a little birds in the air Christmas ornament. But a long and winding road to get there.

I have another one waiting to quilt and finish.
 

But, as I said, a long and winding road. These were the first set of blocks I made.

All those pretty blocks lined up...

 And the ABSOLUTELY PERFECT fabric for the setting triangles. I think I won it at a guild raffle at some point.

And a nice grey for a border - calming those reds down is *just* the right thing.

Sticky paper made it easy to quilt a wavy design in the border.

 I finished quilting last night and woke up tis morning to this: a very bad cat.

So, into the tub it went. I used a toothbrush to scrub some Dharma fabric wash into the pink parts.

Then I just let it soak with some color grabbers in the tub.

It started to lighten up, so I repeated the scrub/soak cycle a couple more times.

You can see from the dye caught in the color grabbers that things were happening.


Eventually, as I added another color grabber, it stayed white(ish).

And it seems to have worked.

 It's drying on a towel now- I may not get to it tomorrow, but I will finish it.

Linking to Kim Lapacek's blog, Persimon Dreams, for the challenge finish.

Saturday, February 08, 2020

Project Quilting - Challenge 3

The third challenge for season 11 of Project Quilting is "Put a Heart on It"

My original idea was a heart made from little strip blocks. That TOP is almost done, but I didn't think it would become a finished object in time for the deadline.

So, instead, I made the latest in my series of little pieced, quilted, stuffed hearts. This one is in the colors of the non-binary flag. It is little - 4 x 4 at the most.

Monday, February 03, 2020

Sunday Stash 2/2/2020 (a day late)

I went to my mini-group this week and brought home some cut-off strips - to the tune of  0.44 yards. And I bought almost 3 yards - the longest piece was short an inch- because I had a 60% off coupon and I was almost out of black Kona. The Kona was $11.33, I also bought two rolls of painters tape for $11.78.



Fabric in:    3.42 yards
Fabric in total: 3.42 yards

Fabric out this week:   0.0 yards
Fabric out total:  1.40 yards

Spending this week:  $23.11

Spending total: $26.61

Linking to Sunday Stash at Quilt Paint Create.


One Monthly Goal for February

My goal for this month is to find all of the parts for this quilt that I have done, put together the blocks that I have, and see if I need to make more. So I may or may not have a completed top by the end of the month, but I'll know where I need to go to GET TO a finish!

Linking to Elm Street Quilts OMG for accountability.

Friday, January 31, 2020

One Monthly Goal for January - DONE

My goal was to finish the quilting on this challenge quilt.


 It's quilted, but I'm not happy with it yet.

The quilting is awfully low-contrast, probably because of how busy the top is.

You can see it some on the back?
 Circles.

The binding is sewn on, but not sewn to the back - so half of a stretch goal :)

Linking to Elm Street Quilts for the finish.


Sunday, January 26, 2020

Sunday Stash - January 26, 2020

Most of the fabric out was the two fat quarters that went as "dues" to join the 2020 Stashbuster UFO challenge. I calculated 0.05 yards for Ody Owl - I'm not counting the lining or back as yardage out, since it was upcycled.


My "retail therapy" for the week was $3.50 at a local thrift store. A couple of packages of beads, some perle cotton, and a tiny crochet hook originally sold for 10 cents (it cost me a quarter!). 

Fabric in:     0 yards
Fabric out this week:   0.55 yards
Fabric out total:  1.40 yards
Spending:   $3.50

Linking to Sunday Stash at Quilt Paint Create.

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Project Quilting - Challenge 2

The second Project Quilting challenge is "Team Colors."

My alma mater is Mississippi University for Women, and our school colors are blue and blue :)  Our mascot is Ody Owl, so I decided to quilt up a little owl in MUW colors.

For backing, I had some cut-off legs from some pants the Lovely Daughter made into shorts, and I lined it with an old towel. Two layers of cotton batting for the back.

The body of Ody is W blue and her wings are Welty blue. The eyes are a pale, pale yellow, so not even really close to II&C yellow.

Once everything is quilted and getting bound together, seams are gonna need a little grading.

Done! the quilting on the front doesn't show up all that well in this photo, but I'm very pleased with it.

The back. I had to double-sew the binding at the top because I missed the edge, but it's not awful.

 And yay! a functional potholder.

Ody is about 7 x 9,  and I just love her to bits.