Saturday, January 20, 2018

Pattern Weight Tutorial

I joined a "52 Week Sewing Challenge" group on FaceBook this year. The third week's challenge was to make something to make sewing easier.

I've always wanted to try pattern weights- and so this was a good opportunity to come up with some!

I started with BIG washers from Home Depot. A box of 25 was $7.98.



I cut a circle of scrap fleece the size of the washer. This piece is inside padding, so it doesn't need to be pretty.


I used good old Elmer's glue to glue the fleece to the washer.

I traced a circle to use as a pattern, adding about 1/2 inch to the washer diameter. I used a drinking glass and an envelope from my dentist.

Since the edges will be inside, this doesn't need to be perfect either.

 Sew a running stitch around the edge of your fun fabric circle.

Once your thread gets a big shorter, you can pull it a little when you sew, as long as there's room to get the washer in.

Put your fleece-covered washer in, fleece-side down, and pull the fabric tight and sew closed.

Cut another fleece circle the size of the washers. This will be on the bottom and will show, so use a coordinating color, and make it as nice of a circle as you can.

Use more glue on the back of the weight. I used a toothpick to spread it out.

Glue the fleece back on.

I set mine on parchment paper to dry completely.

Voila! Fun, funky pattern weights.

No comments: