Sunday, February 07, 2021

Project Quilting Challenge #3 2021

 The third Project Quilting Challenge is Virtual Vacation.

My usual constraints applied - start with orphan blocks and end with buttons.


These look like sand and sea - we're good to go! Adding lots of sand, a little more sea, sun, and sky, and we have a top.


Wavy line quilting across the entire top- sunset colors for the sky and top of the water, teal for the water, and sand for the sand.


And it's done. One big mother-of-pearl button to represent shells that wash up on the shore and it's done.


Not a *literal* representation, but the colors and feeling of my favorite part of favorite vacation- early morning walks on the beach. This, then, is FloraBama Sunrise. And the wonkiness isn't the photo- the top edge and first couple of inches down is square, but after that I just  trimmed along the edge and if it waved and curved, that's how I bound it. Size is about 12 x 20.

From snowy Gaithersburg, MD, wishing I was in Orange Beach.



2 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely abstract beach sunrise. I'm always amazed by quilters who can work in that way. LOVE the parameters that you've set for yourself this year! Starting with an orphan block is a good idea. I have enough buttons to use a handful on each challenge and still have buttons leftover! Hmm... maybe I should challenge myself to use some of them.

PersimonDreams said...

beautiful!