This month's challenge word was "Sunshine."
What popped into my head was an image of a sunflower. After taking Elly Sienkiewicz's class on the ruched rose last week, I had an idea of adapting that technique to make the center, so off we went.
This is the center all gathered up. I took a salad plate and drew my circle, then used the 6-pointed template to make the triangular gathering marks all the way around the edge (way more than 6!) and a couple of smaller circles to gather the middle. I LOVE the way this worked!
Different yellows fused to WonderUnder for the petals. I didn't use all of these for the final flower.
A piece of snow-dyed fabric from over a year ago for the background.
A copy of the Territorial seed catalog for inspiration. A glass of wine doesn't hurt, either!
Petals fused and ready to quilt. I did a zig-zag freemotion around all of the petals, then some echo quilting around the entire flower.
The end result. I'm really happy with this - it actually worked pretty much like the vision of it in my head.
Like sunshine distilled
The sunflowers nod their heads
Dancing in the wind