Saturday, January 26, 2008

Photos, at least

I had a rather unproductive day today - the only thing I really accomplished was getting all the yardage washed. Not even ironed yet. I also did a couple of rows on the new rippled afghan:
Photobucket
You can see the blue of the lovely Kroger bag in the background. All of my grocery bags are in use as project bags, so I still wind up getting stupid plastic bags at the grocery.

I had ambitious plans, which still have tomorrow to be have progress on, but today I still feel as if I'm coming down with something. Plus, I had to go in to work - I got worried last night that I wouldn't get everything I needed to get done before my meeting on Monday done in time. If I hadn't farted around at work so much on Friday (or even thought of it then), I could've DONE it then. But no. I remembered it as I was trying to go to sleep last night, so I went in after lunch and was finished by 2.

I then went to the first of the never-go-to-on-the-weekend places, the Super H Mart. I love the H Mart. It's the huge Asian/multiethnic grocery with really good, cheaper on many things than the price-gouging regular grocery stores. BUT it is crowded in a third-world market kind of way on the weekend. I got my chicken thighs, fruit and vegetables, and tea and a lovely little teapot for my quilt guild secret sister, then waited in line for about 15 minutes.

Got home, middle kid informs me: "D's birthday party is tonight!" This is at 4. Party starts at 5:30. We HAVE NOT remembered to RSVP. Call D's mom in a panic; everything's OK and he'll be happy to see J. at the party. Mad rush to Target (second never-go-to-on-the-weekend place) for a present. Not sure what to get - D is developmentally delayed in some way so is not a normal 10-year-old. J. is sure he would like something like Legos, so we wind up with a big box of K'Nex and a gift receipt, plus "big boy underwear" for the toddler, who wants to wear underwear "like J." Wrap gift, find a card, rush to the aquatic center for the party.

Bonus here is that the room is WARM, and I get to sit and crochet and chat with the other moms for a couple of hours while boys splash in the pool (most of the boys are Cub Scout cronies). Come home, DH has NOT fed the toddler (he napped late and didn't want to eat earlier, to be fair to DH), so I make tomato soup and toast with jelly and celery sticks with ranch dressing. I eat a bowl of cornflakes because I still feel like crap.

At any rate, the heavens have aligned, so more photos are below.

My two bags of remnants. In the foreground, looking peeved at being disturbed, is Baby (we did NOT name her). We've had Baby a couple of years now; she was at least 10 when she came to live with us.
Photobucket

The next couple of pictures are each bag spread out on the bed. The first bag was mostly quilting cotton (i.e. if you are not a fabric snob):
Photobucket

The other bag had a bigger variety of types of fabric; some cotton, some knits, a couple of pieces of velveteen, etc.:
Photobucket

The little head in the back of the picture is my toddler, in "my sleepover":
Photobucket

Math error: I work up sizes in my little notebook; this is the design for my middle kid's chess quilt:
Photobucket

SO, what's wrong with this picture? Other than the messy room, of course ;>)
Photobucket

That's right. I added wrong. I'm actually great with math - it's arithmetic that throws me for a loop!

This is what I really want to finish the top of this weekend:
Photobucket

It's a challenge quilt for the guild quilt show at the end of April.

Finally, a brag on my kids' artwork.
This came home with the toddler recently:
Photobucket
The handprint reindeer is pretty standard, but that doll's face! and those straight lines! he's definitely his own small man.

My daughter drew this dragon - it's huge, probably 3 feet long.
Photobucket

Detail of head:
Photobucket

She's SO talented. This, I think the details are simple enough I could applique it...we'll see.

ETA - forgot my gratitudes...
1. Easygoing fellow moms who don't guilt me TOO much about forgetting to RSVP for their kid's birthday party.
2. My dryer. I lived for more years than I should've with a dryer that didn't work properly. It taught me a very good lesson about replacing appliances when they need to be replaced, not when they're really quite completely dead.
3. Raspberry sherbet.

No comments: