Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Musicals

I've been home sick today, with occasional peeks at work e-mail.

This morning and through early afternoon, it was pretty much non-stop CSI.

But for the past hour or so I've been watching Oklahoma! What a treat. The old musicals don't seem to show up on TV as often as they did when I was growing up. The Lovely Daughter is in a production of South Pacific at her high school, so when that was on a few weeks ago we watched it. It was the modern version, though :( Much as I like Harry Connick, Jr., it just wasn't right. It doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of Glenn Close either.

I think I will finally have to break down and order a DVD of The Music Man - it's probably my favorite of all.

1 comment:

CatQuilter said...

The first screen version of "South Pacific" is DEFINITELY the tops. When I'm having a down day or need to feel better, I like to watch it. There's just something about a musical, isn't there?

I have a copy of the London stage production of "Oklahoma!" - very nice, but again I prefer the old Shirley Jones movie.

The only thing I can think that tops the old movies is seeing a live stage production. My daughter's school is producing "Annie Get Your Gun" this spring and I can't wait to see it. Her school usually does a great job with the stage productions.